Other Consular Services
Consular services are provided under the terms of the Consular Functions Act No. 4 of 1981 of Sri Lanka
Attestation, Authentication, Legalization of Documents
Any document issued by the Sri Lankan Institutions should be attested through Electronic Documents Attestation System (E-DAS) of the Consular Affairs Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka located at the following address and needed to produce the electronic customer copy to the Embassy for attestation:
Consular Affairs Division, Sri Lanka
2nd Floor, Ceylinco Building, Janadhipathi Mawatha, Colombo 01 Sri Lanka
Telephone: +94 112 338 812 / +94 112 446 302
Fax: +94 112 473 899
Notice by the Consular Affairs Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka on providing service during the COVID 19 pandemic: https://mfa.gov.lk/performing-consular-services/
- Embassy will provide Electronic Document Attestation Service from Consular Affairs Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Sri Lanka for any document issued by the Sri Lankan Institutions which has been not attested previously through Electronic Document Attestation system subjected to the stipulated guidelines and payment of relevant fee.
- Documents issued by the authorities of Thailand will be accepted for attestation ONLY IF such documents are attested by the Consular Affairs Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand located at the following addresses:
Legalization Division, Department Of Consular Affairs Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Of Thailand
123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210
Tel. +66 2 575 1058, +66 2 575 1059 or +66 2 575 1060. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en
Legalization Office Khlong Toei Mrt
(Khlong Toei MRT station – Metro Mall)
Mon–Fri, 8.30 – 16.30.
Tel. 02-103-1631, Fax: 02-103-1632
- Any document issued by a foreign authority or agency will accept for attestation ONLY IF such document is attested by the Foreign Ministry of the document issued country.
- Only Sri Lankan Citizens could sign Documents / Declarations including Power of Attorney, Affidavits at the Embassy before diplomatic officers / Justice of Peace who are authorized under the Consular Functions Act No. 4 of 1981 to provide this service subjected to payment of relevant as per the Government gazette notification ( English / Sinhala/ Tamil)
- Person who signs Power of Attorney must present in person with Sri Lankan Passport and valid visa (or Valid Dual Citizenship certificate, if applicable) to the Embassy together with two witnesses (who are Sri Lankan Passport Holders).
- Relevant official documents should be produced to substantiate the facts given in an Affidavit, Power of Attorney or any other document. In the event of relevant official documents not being produced to substantiate the facts contained in an Affidavit, Power of Attorney or any other document, such document will not be considered for Attestation.
- Affidavits produced to substantiate the alterations made in identification documents issued by the Government such as Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Death Certificates, Passports, Driving Licenses, National Identity Cards etc. will be attested only if the alterations have been made in the original documents and certified by the issuing authority.
- Attestation of Documents / Declarations including Affidavit, Power of Attorney signed by a Foreign Citizen are accepted to attest only if such document certified by an authorized authority (Notary) of the country of his /her residence. Those documents must have to be attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of Residence of the applicant, prior to produce to the Embassy for attestation.