Visa to Sri Lanka
With effect from 1st January 2012, all Tourist or Business travelers to Sri Lanka must have Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) for entering in to Sri Lanka. Please visit https://www.eta.gov.lk for more information.
When applying ETA by third parties payments are to be made through the arrangement made in our website www.eta.gov.lk and obtain acknowledgement of ETA application. Any payments made to other websites or agencies are not valid to process a valid ETA. Therefore, always ensure that the payments made by accessing to official ETA website and avoid making repayment at the port of entry to Sri Lanka.
What are the Working Hours?
- Acceptance of all applications: 8.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m.
- Collection of visa after submitting the applications: 8.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m.
The office closes on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
What is a Sri Lankan Visa?
What is a Sri Lankan Visa?
A Sri Lankan visa is an endorsement on a passport or a similar document to facilitate the legal entry of non Sri Lankans into the country and to regulate the period of their stay and the conditions governing such stay.
What are the Types of Sri Lankan Visas?
There are three (03) kinds of visas which permit a person to enter and/or stay in Sri Lanka.
1. Visit Visa
A Visit Visa is an entry permit signifying the consent of the Sri Lankan Government for the admission of a foreign national to the country. The Visa contains details of the period of time and the condition/s of the stay.
There are two sub-categories which come under visit visas :-
1) Tourist Visa
A Tourist Visa is issued to bona-fide tourists who want to enter Sri Lanka for sightseeing or holidaying, visiting friends and relatives, medical treatments, participate in art, music and dance events, participate in sport events for a short period of time.
2) Business Purpose Visa
A Business Purpose Visa is issued to foreign nationals who visit Sri Lanka for business purposes for short period of time. This visa may be issued for single or multiple journeys.
2. Residence Visa
A residence visa is a permit for a non-Sri Lankan to obtain residence facilities for special purposes.
There are thirteen (13) sub-categories which come under residence visas
What Eligibility category do I belong?
1) Employment Category
– Professional personnel whose services are required for projects approved by the government.
– Expatriate personnel employed in projects under Board of Investment (BOI) of Sri Lanka and their dependents.
– Personnel employed at banks and their dependents
– Personnel employed in a private company and their dependent
2) Investor Category
– Personnel who desire to invest monetary capital in Sri Lanka
– Personnel who engage in business activities in Sri Lanka
3) Religious Category
– Members of the Clergy
– Personnel who engage in religious activities
4) Student Category
– University Students
– Students in Educational Institutions approved by the government
5) Personnel attached to Non-Governmental Organizations or International Non-Government Organizations and their dependents
6) Registered Indians covered by the 1954 Indo-Lanka Agreement.
7) Ex- Sri Lankans and their dependents
8) Family Members of a Sri Lankan
– Spouses and their dependents
– Children holding foreign nationality
9) Diplomatic and Official visa
– Diplomats and officers who are attached to a foreign mission in Sri Lanka
– Their Spouse and dependents
10) My Dream Home Visa Programme
11) Resident Guest Visa Programme
12) Medical Visa
– Personal who are under medical treatments
– Medical Assistant and dependents of the medical visa holder
13) Court Visa
– Personal who has a pending court case in which he need to be appear before a court
3. Transit Visa
A Transit Visa is an entry permit granted to a foreign national for admission into Sri Lanka for a short period which is incidental and in the course of his journey to another destination.
Who is eligible for Visa Exemptions?
- Sri Lankan dual citizens.
- Children up to 21 years of age, whose birth has been registered under section 5(2) of Citizenship Act of 1948.
- Children under 21 years of age and born in Sri Lanka for Sri Lankan parents who are holding a foreign nationality.
Who are eligible for Gratis Visa?
The holder of a Diplomatic or Official Passport or a passport with a valid Diplomatic or Official endorsement. They will not be required to pay any fees for the visa as per the recommendation of the Line Ministry.
What are the countries Sri Lanka has entered into visa exemption agreements for Diplomatic/Official and Service Passport holders for their short term Diplomatic or Official visits?
Please see the list of countries and the allowed duration through the link here
What are the general eligibility requirements for Sri Lankan Visas?
Sri Lanka Immigration and Emigration may grant or issue a visa to you if –
- Sri Lanka Immigration & Emigration is satisfied that you are suitable to enter Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Immigration & Emigration approves the purpose for which you are entering Sri Lanka.
- You hold a passport valid for a minimum period of six months from the date you arrive in Sri Lanka.
- Sri Lanka Immigration & Emigration is satisfied that you have adequate funds for your maintenance whilst in Sri Lanka and for the payment of your return passage to the country which issued your passport.
- You are in possession of a written assurance (ticket) to return to the country of domicile or a visa to the next country of destination if you are a visit visa holder.