Registration of Birth and Citizenship
For more information please visit – https://www.immigration.gov.lk/pages_e.php?id=5
The following documents are required to submit for the registration of birth:
- Application for Birth Registration (download)
- Declaration of Citizenship by the parents (download)
- Declaration of Birth under Section 16. (if within 03 months) (Registration B-4 Form)
- In case of an application made after three months and before one year of the birth Declaration of Birth under Section 24, (Registration B-6 Form)
- In case of an application made after one year of the birth, (Registration B-6 Form)form and a letter addressed to Registrar General giving the reasons for the delay
- Birth certificate issued by the relevant competent authority of the country of birth/Hospital record of the child. (with a photo copy) In this case the attested copy of the English translation of Thai birth certificate by the Consular Affairs Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand should be submitted.
- Original Birth certificates of the father and the mother. . (with photo copies)
- Original Marriage certificate of parents. (with a photo copy)
- Original Passports of the parents at the time of the child’s birth. (with a photo copies)
- Original Visas of the parents at the time of the child’s birth. (with a photo copy)
- English translation attested by the relevant authorities should be produced for all the documents issued in other than Sinhala, Tamil or English.
- If the mother is not present at the Embassy to submit the application, please note that the father of the child is required to present himself for the registration of the birth of the child.
The following documents are required to submit for the Registration of Citizenship:
- Duly filled citizenship application together with the declaration (download) signed by the Parents in front of the Diplomatic officer at the Embassy.
- Birth Certificate of the child issued by the country where the birth took place. (If the original Birth Certificate is not in English, an English translation attested by the relevant authorities should be attached.)
- Consular Birth Certificate of the child issued by the Registration General Department of Sri Lanka.
- Original Birth Certificates of parents with photo copies
- If the applicant (father or mother) is a Sri Lankan citizen by registration, the citizenship certificate with copies
- Original Marriage Certificate of parents with a photo copy
- Original Passports and Visas of the parents to prove residence abroad at the time of the child’s birth (With photo copies).
- English translations of the above documents attested by the relevant authorities, where necessary and applicable
– Submission of forged documents and making false declarations relating to birth/citizenship is a punishable offence. Fees will not be refunded in these circumstances.
– Incomplete applications will be rejected